Wednesday, September 29, 2010

WEDDING DRESS - PART 1

My poor little Bernina has been working overtime
the past few weeks (remind me to oil it).
Here at Preen, I have been in the throws of creating
a wedding dress pretty much from scratch.
It has been quite a challenge figuring out what the dress wants to do.
It is true, fabrics have a mind of their own
and just because you have something in mind,
it doesn't necessarily mean your fabric will cooperate.
For instance, the Bride wanted tiers of fabric, very whimsical.
But yet we picked out this raw silk blend that hangs
entirely different than a chiffon.
So it was not going to happen.
This dress is for a very close sister-friend who will be getting married out in the desert on a farm, so we wanted the dress to have a bit of a prairie feel to it. This dress is designed to wear cowboy boots,
but I think she has changed her mind (nooo, a bride, changing her mind?).
In the photo below, you can see a gifted piece from the 1800's that I have held close in my treasures for over 10 years. But, that is the beauty about making wedding dresses: I am in love with sentimentality. There are pieces here and there scattered throughout the dress that are taken from her
Mother's wedding dress.

Over the years, I have created this certain style in my sewing. I like to call it: Raw Tailoring (just made that up). I prefer the artistic and architectural structure of the fabric when raw edges are exposed and threads hang loose.

This is just a slight sneak peak into the dress.
You might want to stay tuned to see the magnificent swan's breast
across the bust that I created for the bodice.
No, it's not what you're thinking, all Bjork style.

Wish me luck today on my first fitting (3 days before the wedding).
The bride wasn't too thrilled when I told her last week I took apart the dress completely because I wasn't feeling the voodoo.
I hung up on her and she sent me red flowers the next day.








No comments: