Wednesday, October 20, 2010

WEDDING DRESS - PART 2

I miss this this dress.
It is probably in a closet in Venice Beach right now.
But, it's ok- that's what happens with dresses you get married in.
The wedding has passed and the dress was a success.
I could have kept working on this dress for years: tweaking, adding buttons and little stitches here and there for more of an even perfect fit.

This is my favorite part of the dress, the swan's breast.
I sewed 1 centimeter seams with the intention of "splitting" them with my seam ripper to expose the loose threads, a look I love.
I decided not to because when I was sewing all of these seams
the fabric started to curve in a way that was pretty sweet.
The precious thing about this wedding dress that I think I mentioned before is many pieces of fabric that were used were from the bride's mother's own wedding dress. The swan's breast and the bodice. The fabric we used for the skirt, halter strap and piping we found at SAS for $3.


What I love most about making a dress for someone who is especially close to my heart, is the way the fabric decides what it wants to do. We never once sketched out a plan. I knew a few details of what the bride wanted, (now I get super hippie dippy) but the love really guided me through the whole process. So many times I would be sewing a seam I wasn't quite confident about and sure enough, my bobbin thread would be out. I would take that as a sign and not do the seam. Like I explained in my Wedding Dress - Part 1 post, It was not right and didn't feel like the bride what-so-ever. So, of course it took me almost over a month to try and do the bodice until I ripped it to shreds because time is nothing to be intimidated about as long as you have the inspiration, for this dress was made in 4 days tops.

And, she truly looked gorgeous.









No comments: