Friday, August 7, 2009

if I was a boy.



If I Was A Boy.
by Emilie Marchand

If I was a boy, or a lanky girl, I would dress in a completely different
style than the way that I dress now. You see, boys (and lanky girls) have many advantages. They can layer, look tough, and go shirtless. I know what you are thinking. You think that I can also do all of these things. Well, true, I can layer but the layers must be paper thin so as not to exaggerate my already curvy curves. Sometimes I look tough, but in more of a cleavage, heels
and cigarette dangling kind of way. The shirtless part? Come on.

To illustrate my point, I give you the following images...
p.s. Alison Mosshart shops at Preen.

So I guess what I have compiled here is a group of tough looking, layered, pirate, warrior-type boys and girls. Some are shirtless.

I love them all and wish to be just like them. What's a girl to do when she is 5'4" and feminine? The best that I can come up with, on a daily basis, is my go to button up 60's house dress and some fringe anklets that I whipped up. At least that is what I am wearing today as seen here...


tough/ warrior chunky metal necklace?

fringey feet?


boyish haircut?
I don't know. I do my best with what I've got.

More on this subject later.

4 comments:

senorita-amandita said...

sister, i love your style.

Emilie said...

Thanks, sweetie!

diana said...

i definitely hear ya. i've got the "boy" shape down, but it's more "scrawny 12-year-old boy" than "sexy, lanky, tall 19-year-old boy."

layers make me look like a malnourished bag lady, "tough" becomes "haha! really, diana?" and "pirate" just looks like i forgot when halloween was.

the closest i thing i've found workable is "gypsy," and damn that's a fantastic look - but one i get a little self conscious trying.
so i stick to my faithful girly 60's mini-dresses, late-70's/early 80's 20-something casual-prep, or just dark skinny jeans and a t-shirt. i'm so willing to take risks, aren't i?!

honestly though, i LOVE your style. i've never seen you look anything less than amazing. you've found a way to pull off the edgy/"tough" look while bringing some femininity to it. i've rarely seen someone accomplish that so seamlessly. it's really inspiring - which again reminds me that i still need to tell you that story about seeing you years ago, before i knew you...

xo

Anonymous said...

I totally empathize. I've actually been trying to lose weight in order to look more casual (because it seems skinnier girls can pull off effortless better... or is it just me?). But after seeing you in that amazing blue dress over at Painfully Hip, I'm thinking about chucking my diet. I tend to dress in retro 50's and I was getting a bit sick of it, but honestly... where the hell did you get that dress?!? It's PERFECTION.

So, thanks for being the one who convinced me not to fight my natural petite and curvy body shape. (oh, and my husband probably thanks you too.)

xoxo
-Sonia